Homes for Veterans
Habitat for Humanity's national program, Veteran Builds, was created to assist the 1.5 million veterans in the US who pay more than 50% of their income for housing. As our inaugural Veteran Builds initiative, through both the creation of our Gracepoint Neighborhood and our traditional Homeownership program, the goal of Habitat Greenville is to provide affordable homes to as many veterans as possible.
Habitat serves eligible Veteran Applicants with total annual income up to 80% of Area Median Income (AMI). Families with children are a priority.
Family Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Be living in substandard conditions, or
- Be living in an unsafe neighborhood, or
- Be paying an excessive cost for housing, or
- Be homeless
Ability to Pay for the Home:
- Have a stable source of income;
- Have a back-end-debt-to-income ratio under 40%;
- Have no judgments or liens;
- Have permanent resident status in the United States;
Willingness to Partner:
- Applicant must save for closing costs, currently estimated at $3,000;
- Applicant must complete "sweat equity" (volunteer) requirements of 200-250 hours in a timely manner;
Veterans are cordially invited to apply. Eligibility and Pre-Qualification forms can be found below. Please contact our Family Services Department with any questions: 864-312-5013.